Some History of No 26 Cartwright Gardens

 

26 Cartwright Gardens, St Pancras, London WC.

Formerly named Burton Crescent after the Architect/Builder James Burton who built it between 1809 and 1820. One resident, between 1820 and his death in 1824,  was Major John Cartwright (a Reformer) and a statue of him was erected outside his house in 1831.

The 1851 census shows the Crescent to be of 'middle class & Professional' residents; less so by 1861, and by 1871 contained a significant number of 'lodging houses'. On the Booth's Poverty Map of late 19th century some of the Crescent is found to be coloured deep blue, signifying 'very poor'.

In 1908 it was renamed Cartwright Gardens, perhaps in honour of John Cartwright. The area suffered war damage in WW1, and later No's 19-26 were demolished above the ground floor storey. Currently, those houses of the original period that still remain are those numbered 27-63 (See London Gardens Online.) It is probable that No's 19-26 are now 'The Garden Halls', part of the University of London.

The 1911 census, taken on the night of Sunday 2nd April, shows Cartwright Gardens to be mainly comprised of multiple family occupancy properties with the majority of adults in employment, with a few boarding houses and even fewer professional residents. The occupants of No. 26 are recorded as :

Mrs Mary Hunts, Matron age 45, working in Day Nursery.

May McCallum, Creche Nurse age 19, working in Day Nursery.

Mary Daly, Upholsteress/Carpet Sewer age 25, working in manufacturing.